Thursday, May 21, 2009

A Trip to Emory Medical In Atlanta

On June 14th Elliot had an appointment with Dr. Robert Bruce of the Emory University Medical Center. Dr. Bruce is a pediatric orthopedic surgeon who was recommended to us by the folks up at UNC Chapel Hill. We are beginning to make a transition from Chapel Hill to Atlanta for various reasons. One of which is the presence of family in the Atlanta area...

We got to Atlanta on the 13th and spent the night with Aunt Caryn and Uncle Joel. The kids had a ball in their big back yard - following uncle Joel around as he did yard work and made preparations to get the in-ground pool ready for summer. The next morning, we had the pleasure of popping over to Aunt Caryn's cake shop www.carynscakes.com to sample some of the day's decadent fresh baked treats. YUM!

Then, it was over to meet Dr. Bruce. We didn't think anyone could be a 'cool' as Dr. Campion (Chapel Hill) but we walked away from our little meet & greet with Dr. Bruce amply impressed. It was obvious that he knew his business and I was pleased to know that he and Dr. Campion were of like mind when it came to treatments, progression etc. In many ways, it was a second opinion. Elliot thought Dr. Bruce was great. Our next appointment isn't until this fall...and in the meantime, Elliot's been charged with a persistent wearing of his day and night AFOs (braces). Stretching must be done on a daily basis.

It was a good little road trip.

2 comments:

  1. Hi from Germany,

    I found your blog by chance.

    I have a special needs boy, too.

    My son, Fabian, age 10, is wheelchair bound since he fell from a tree two years ago.

    It was a very hard time for all of us after Fabians accident. The moment when the doctor told us, that Fabian is paralyzed and the moment when we must told him that he never walk again, was so terrible. Especially terrible was the day, when Fabian got his first wheelchair. I still cry when I saw him sitting in his wheelchair at the first time.

    But Fabian is so brave! I am so proud of him.

    Since his accident Fabian visits a school for special needs kids. All other kids in his class are disabled, too. The most kids must use a wheelchair, tree kids can walk with a walker / quad canes.

    Every Saturday Fabian visits a sport group for children in wheelchairs. Two hours they play together in their wheelchairs. It is so funny for the kids.

    Two month ago he got a new “Spidermann”-wheelchair.

    If you are interest I will send you some photos of him in his new wheelchair.

    I will be glad about a short answer mail.

    Best wishes Katja
    (Katja.Kretzler@web.de)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi there. I'm a mom of 3, expecting my 4th. after the birth of my my 3rd, I started showing symptoms of cmt and was diagnosed a couple of years ago. so far, my kids are not showing signs of an early onset cmt. I hadn't thought about it from a kids point of view before, until I read your posts of elliot. I regret not being able to skate any more, or to try rock climbing, but i'm 40 and i have done a lot. It must be hard to think you might not get a chance to try many things. I am very thankful for all the advances in helping disabled people manage, and love to hear about kids who are assisted to do things like rockclimb, enter marathons, ect. my kids hope that i get a scooter before they are too big to hitch rides on it! i have a while yet, but am not too worried because it is not too hard to get around nowadays, with all the supports. worried, but not too worried! anyway, i will follow your journey, and hope i can offer support. good luck!

    ReplyDelete